Council meets each Monday evening at 7:00 p.m. in council chambers on the third floor of the Akron Municipal Building, 166 South High Street. City Council does not meet when a national holiday falls on a Monday, and recesses the month of August and the last two weeks of December.
A caucus and special meetings of city council may be called by the Mayor, the President of Council or by four council members, provided 12 hours notice has been given to each council member and to the public. Only items on that notice may be considered at the Special Meeting.
The general order of council business during Monday evening meetings is as follows:
- Roll call
- Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance
- Regular Agenda: includes public hearings, reports of standing and special committees, and consideration of ordinances and resolutions held over from previous readings. A vote may be made or time may be taken on legislation.
- New Legislation: first readings of newly proposed ordinances and resolutions, which are those submitted to the Clerk of Council by 12:00 p.m. on the Friday prior to the council meeting. New legislation may be scheduled for public hearings, time may be taken, or committee recommendations may be made and council may vote on the legislation.
- Public Comment Period: The public is invited to speak to council at the end of every regular meeting during the Public Comment Period. They must submit a Public Comment Form prior to the meeting. The form can be submitted here. Citizen comments are limited to three minutes and must address matters within council’s authority.
- Scheduling of committee meetings for the following meeting
The City of Akron is committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are able to fully participate in public programs, services, and activities. Anyone who is in need of an accommodation from any City department is invited to contact Yamini Adkins, Director of Human Resources, 166 South High Street, Municipal Building, Suite 103, Akron, Ohio 44308, (voice) 330-375-2780 as soon as possible. If you require TDD phone service call Ohio Relay at 800-750-0750 and they will assist in contacting the Department of Human Resources at (330) 375-2780.