Council meets each Monday evening at 6:30 p.m. in council chambers on the third floor of the Akron Municipal Building, 166 South High Street. City Council does not meet when a national holiday falls on a Monday, and recesses the month of August and the last two weeks of December.
A caucus and special meetings of city council may be called by the Mayor, the President of Council or by four council members, provided 12 hours notice has been given to each council member and to the public. Only items on that notice may be considered at the Special Meeting.
The general order of council business during Monday evening meetings is as follows:
- Roll call
- Prayer and Pledge of Allegiance
- Public Comment Period: A public comment period will be held at each regularly scheduled Council meeting, where up to ten (10) members of the public may address Council on matters within Council's authority. No member of the public shall be permitted to address Council during the public comment period more than once every 30 days. Requests must be submitted here no later than 4:00 p.m. on the date that the individual intends to speak. No member of the public shall be permitted to address Council in excess of three (3) minutes during public comment period.
- Consent Agenda
- Regular Agenda
- Reports of Standing and Special Committees
- Ordinances and Resolutions held over from previous reading
- First reading of Ordinances and Resolutions (New Legislation)
- Announcement of Committee Meetings
- Good and Welfare
The City of Akron is committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are able to fully participate in public programs, services and activities. Anyone who is in need of an accommodation from any City department is invited to contact the HR Department at 330-375-2780 at least seven (7) days in advance. If you require TDD phone service call Ohio Relay at 800-750-0750 and they will assist in coordinating with the City of Akron.
These meetings are livestreamed on YouTube.