Welcome to Akron City Council
Visit this site often to stay up-to-date on Council activities and for information about legislation that affects you.Watch City Council Meetings
- News & Commentaries
- City Seeks Grant for New Business Incubator11.14.2017City seeks grant for new business incubator, sells city-owned building to successful startup Echogen.Read More >
- Council Takes Steps to Resolve Differences11.07.2017Council begins working toward more professional and respectful debate on issues.Read More >
- Middlebury Commons Wins Council Approval11.07.2017Middlebury Commons development approved; city and county prepare lawsuit against drug manufacturers.Read More >
YOU TUBE BLOCKS COUNCIL's LIVE STREAMING
After live streaming Monday's Special Meeting, You Tube Live blocked Council from streaming the afternoon committee and regular Council meetings. A notice sent to Council said the account was flagged for "inappropriate content." While live streaming the special meeting, the internet connection was temporarily disrupted resulting in 1 minute and 24 seconds of a black screen. That is what was specifically flagged by You Tube Live. Council has appealed the decision. Until live streaming is possible again, meetings will be recorded and uploaded within 48 hours to Council's You Tube site.
COAT GIVEAWAY PLANNED IN WARD 5
The Ward 5 annual "Coat Giveaway for the Homeless" will be held on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2017, 3-4 p.m. at Grace Park. If you would like to donate new or softly worn coats, jackets, hats, scarves or gloves for the giveaway or need to know where to drop off donations, please contact Ward 5 Council Representative Tara Mosley Samples by phone or text at 330-212-9118, at City Council at 330-375-2256, or by email (email@example.com).
Winterfest at Lock 3 Coming Soon
For the 14th consecutive winter, Akron will provide a season of outdoor fun and activities for residents and visitors of all ages starting Friday, Nov. 24 and running through President's Day, Feb. 19. Winterfest is home to Ohio’s largest outdoor seasonal ice skating rink and the Polar Putt-Putt golf course. Winterfest highlights include the Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, Welcome Santa Parade, Reindeer Run, Breakfast with Santa, Countdown to First Night and many other weekend events.
“Winterfest is a hallmark of the Akron holiday season,” Mayor Horrigan said. “I encourage everyone to visit Lock 3 and enjoy the ice rink, visit the popular Akron Children’s Museum, stroll past the vintage window displays on Main Street, or attend one of the many unique seasonal events like our Superhero and Princess weekend. There truly is something for everyone at Lock 3 during Winterfest.”
Mayor Horrigan and the Downtown Akron Partnership also encourage visitors to make the most of downtown Akron by having a meal or drinks at one of more than 30 downtown restaurants and bars before or after their visit to Lock 3. For a complete list of attractions, calendar and hours of operation visit lock3live.com.
Committees meet Monday afternoons in council chambers, 166 South High Street, 3rd floor. Council as a whole meets Mondays at 7 p.m.
- Time: Wednesday, 10:00-11:00 AMLocation: Northwest Family Recreation Center, 1730 Shatto Ave.Ward 8 "Coffee with the Councilwoman"
- Time: Monday, 1:00-4:00 PMLocation: City Hall - 166 South High Street, Akron 44308Committee Meetings
- Time: Monday, 7:00-9:00 PMLocation: City Hall - 166 South High Street, Akron 44308City Council Meeting
Agendas are usually available mid-week. New legislation becomes available Monday mornings. Click on these buttons to download PDFs of the agenda and legislation.
Looking for Your Ward or Council person?
Click on the link below, then type your address into the box to see a map of your ward and to connect with your council representative.
For the fastest response to concerns about everything from potholes to tree trimming to snow or ice removal, click on the link below or call 311 within the City of Akron or 330-375-2311 from any other phone.