FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Dr. Joan M. Williams, Chief of Staff, Akron City Council
email@example.com or 330-375-2258
Akron City Council Hosts Free At-Home COVID-19 Test Drive -Thru Distributions
Akron, Ohio, January 10, 2022 - Today, Akron City Council announced the distribution of 3,220 free at-home COVID-19 test kits on Saturday, January 15th, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The home test kits will be given out during concurrent drive-thru distribution events in Ward #’s 1, 3, 5 and 9:
- Five Points – 670 West Exchange Street
- Summit Lake Community Center – 380 West Crosier Street
- Joy Park Community Center – 825 Fuller Street
- Kenmore High School – 2140 13th Street, SW (*only enter on Wyoming Street)
Each distribution site will distribute 805 tests while supplies last. Tests are limited to one per person present in the vehicle, and masks are required to receive a test.
“Given the current COVID-19 surge, supply chain disruptions and limited availability of testing appointments, we want to do our part in helping to make at-home test kits available in the communities with the lowest vaccination rates,” said Margo Sommerville, President of Council. “We’re distributing tests that offer live testing support from Certified Guides, ensuring a better sample collection, and improved confidence in results. The tests can be taken from your home, office or wherever you are, so long as you have a smart device and internet connection. Verified results are available in 15 minutes”.
Those choosing not to utilize the proctored test feature are urged to report positive results COVID-19 test results at: tiny.cc/hometest19.
City Council encourages those residents who are both vaccinated and unvaccinated to continue to engage in safe and effective behaviors to reduce the spread of COVID-19:
· Stay home if you’re sick, even with mild symptoms
· Be mindful in your interactions with others. Limit your chances of exposure by maintaining social distancing of at least six feet from non-household members
· Wear a mask in public
· Follow good hygiene standards:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use hand sanitizer frequently
- Avoid touching your face
- Cover coughs and sneezes