NEWS FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Margo Sommerville, President, Akron City Council (email@example.com) (330) 375-2256
Council President Sommerville Establishes Snow and Ice Task Force
AKRON, Ohio (January 28, 2019) – The City of Akron is responsible for maintaining the highest level of service possible within its financial capabilities. Among the most critical services provided is snow and ice control. The City’s procedures for snow and ice control were last reviewed and revised in 2005. In light of the City’s response to Winter Storm Harper, Council President Sommerville has established the Akron City Council Snow and Ice Control Task Force. Mayor Horrigan and his staff will be working very closely with, and in support of, the Task Force.
The Task Force has been charged with reviewing procedures regarding how the City responds to snow and ice events and recommending improvements as appropriate. Its review will include, but is not limited to, updating the Snow and Ice Control Manual, reevaluating the contract with Ohio Department of Transportation, optimizing staffing and equipment levels, etc.
The Task Force is comprised of five members of the Administration, five members of Akron City Council, and five citizen representatives. The appointees are:
• Lunzy Armstrong, Citizen Representative
• Pedro Avalos, Citizen Representative
• Andre Blaylock, Citizen Representative
• Jeff Fusco, Vice President, Akron City Council
• Robert Harris, Deputy Manager, Public Works
• Jim Hall, Acting Manager, Public Works
• Marilyn Keith, Ward 8, Akron City Council
• Chris Ludle, Deputy Director of Public Service
• John Moore, Director of Public Service
• John Nutter, Manager, Parks Maintenance
• Tony O’Leary, Citizen Representative
• Veronica Sims, At-Large, Akron City Council
• Margo Sommerville, President, Akron City Council
• Haylee Starvaggi, Citizen Representative
• Rich Swirsky, Ward 1, Akron City Council
President Sommerville has asked the Task Force to complete its work no later than March 1, 2019.
# # #
Download the official press release here .